Monday, April 12, 2010

Starry Starry Night Has Never Looked So Delicious!

As a tribute to dear Vincent-only the best artist ever-I reproduced one of his most famous works of art on . . . CUPCAKES! I know, right? What could be better than chocolate cupcakes, ridiculous amounts of frosting, and a magnificent piece of art all in one package! And it was fun to make:D
Here's more or less my semi-blank canvas (although I forgot to take a picture right at the beginning-oops!) After over an hour of wrestling with paste food colouring and spooning sticky frosting into ziplocks, I had my palette . . .
Add a few more hours of piping frosting, a copious amount of plastic cups and frosting containers, and some inspiration (not to mention directions!) from an adorable little cookbook (Hello Cupcake! check it out-www.amazon.com/Hello-Cupcake-Irresistibly-Playful-Creations/dp/0618829253/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271043037&sr=8-1 ) . . .
And a masterpiece emerges!

(Well, a pretty yummy forgery at least.)

The art department is definitely one of the best places on campus and artists are pretty much awesome, so I am glad I had the opportunity to add to the magic that gets created there every day by the talented students and staff:D Leave me a comment (you don't have to have an account) or send me an email at lifeinfullcolour@yahoo.com to let me know what you think, how you're doing, or any ideas you have to bring some beauty to the campus. Happy Monday all!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are freaking amazing. the end.

Solsticia Quartermanus and Dianarama Ottorius said...

Dude. That is INSANE. It actually looks like the painting! Even though it's not an exact replica, the *feel* of it is somehow the same (in the picture at any rate) if that makes any sense. Wish I could eat a piece!

Unknown said...

I just wanted to tell you that my art + design student REALLY appreciated and enjoyed your awesome creation. How very generous of you to share with us. You should BE one of us.
Many thanks!

Aubrey said...

You are so talented! I love what you are doing for AU's campus! This inspires me to do things on my own that will impact our small campus.

My roommate is an art major too and she LOVED the cupcakes!!! She's been following this blog for some time so she was so excited to see one of your creations in her dept.

Ivy Ophelia said...

Aubrey,
I'm glad your roommate enjoyed the cupcakes! I would love to hear about things you've been doing in your part of campus:D

Sarah Martens said...

Ivy, thank you for all you do! Thank you for making yourself known- even through a pseudonym. The knowledge of anonymous kindness inspires others to do so. You are a truly wonderful person! As an art major, I remember the day last year when I discovered these. Two of my friends followed me and we were in awe of it so much, we didn't want to eat them! You are a beautiful creation of God and we all thank you so much for what you do and what you feel. <3